Ingredients: This makes 18-20 pieces of akara
3 cups of Nigerian sweet beans or black-eyed beans
70g pointed peppers (Tatashi)
35g scotch bonnet
1 medium onion
1/2 teaspoon salt
1 knorr cube seasoning
150 ml water
Oil for deep-frying
- In a bowl, soak the beans in warm water for about 3 minutes. Drain and then briskly rub the beans between palms of your hands to remove the skin.
- Add enough water into your bowl, this makes the skins float to the surface and discard the skin. Repeat this severally until the skins are all removed just as in the picture. Then soak the bean overnight with hot water from tap.
- Rinse out beans , place in the blender with the onion, knorr seasoning, water, scotch bonnet and pointed peppers. *I use two blender for mine, just because I like my mixture to be very smooth and thick. Also I blend in small batches*
- Transfer the thick-smooth beans paste to stand mixer and attach the flat beater hook; add salt and mix on medium speed for about 5 minutes.
- While this is mixing, heat the oil in a wok/pot, remember we are deep-frying. Also get every other thing we need ready. For instance, line the sieve with kitchen paper, get your frying spoon ready and spoon for scooping in the beans mix.
- Once oil is heated and ready, scoop in mixture and fry for about 2-3 minutes on each side or until golden brown. Drain on kitchen paper. Repeat process...
- Enjoy hot or cold...